Monday, July 16, 2007

Happy Anniversary to Me

Today is the anniversary of my arrival to Canada. Exactly 6 years ago to the day, I arrived into Toronto’s Union station at 9:15 pm en route from Dorval airport together with my family and 11 pieces of luggage. At first glance we looked rather like the Von Trapps (minus a few kids) as our luggage contained among other things – 2 guitar cases and 1 electronic piano. The porters were NOT impressed.

Over the past 6 years much has changed for everyone in my family. We’ve had some good times and then some bad; we’ve made new friends and lived new experiences. Both my parents have jobs in a new field of work and my brother has passed though elementary and high school and is now in university.

I have put in my time as a student, and worked at a variety of jobs. From babysitting and retail to Radio Programmer and Corporate Sales – I’ve done it all.

On October 25th 2005 we all stood before a judge and swore allegiance to our new country and to the Queen thereby becoming Canadian. Suddenly, air travel became just about tolerable again and I no longer braced myself for “random” checks at immigration!

Life has changed a lot and many times over the past 6 years. It’s kept me guessing and wondering about the years to come. Check back with me in 2011 – year 10!





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...