Thursday, April 09, 2009

Exit Strategy

Turns out, it was just hunger that was making my tummy turn into knots. As soon as I started telling my VP about my decision to leave and my upcoming plans, I felt much better and much relieved! She was super cool about it, other than the fact that she was wailing I thought I had you for AT LEAST another year. But I suppose I can take that as a compliment?

Sat down with her today to map out my wind down over the next few months and plan for my replacement. Turns out, she'll have to fill my spot with two people, so now I'm thinking I should have asked for a raise while I was at it!

For 3 hours we toiled divvying up this year's budgeted internship numbers between my colleagues and trying to figure out the best way to reallocate my clients. I hated it. These were accounts that I had nurtured and grown over the past 2 years; put my blood, sweat and many a tear into promising results. There were some that I had worked on for such a long time. I didn't want to have to just pass all that hard work on for someone else to reap the benefits! It hardly seemed fair.
I also found out that there was a promotion in the works for me, should I have stayed. For a second, I was tempted to take it all back. Then I thought about all those exciting lists I'd made and I was fine with it. There will be other jobs, and other opportunities, but only one lifetime.





3 comments:

Timorous Beastie said...

All this good feedback will stand you in good stead for finding another job elsewhere, though, eh?

Anonymous said...

You are such a wise one, my friend...as someone said...he only regretted things he hadn't done! Go and do things.

Anonymous said...

...and think of the good you're doing the Canadian economy. TWO people will get a job because you're moving...

Rebel (LBDFing at work... again!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...