Thursday, October 23, 2008

Are you speaka de Ainglish???

Trying to help me with new Internet reading material, the Irishman suggested I check Overheard in Dublin. Great idea I thought. And I figured I would also learn a little more about the place where he grew up.

Except that a lot of the jokes were totally lost on me due to cultural/local references. Even more bizarre was the fact that although I knew it was an English language site, it wasn't quite like the English I knew! After 15 mins of struggling with the posts, I was forced to email the Irishman to ask for a translation on the following words:

what's the craic
wan
lash her out of it
potnoodles
jungwan
howerya
DART
skanger girl
Ung Fella
Sheriff St lads
ASBO
D4 type girl
chipper

And that was just from the first page!


So much for attempting to connect culturally!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...